B. S., Wuhan University (1987-1991); M.S., Peking University (1994-1997); Ph. D., Hong Kong University of Science & Technology (1997-2001); Postdoc, University of California, Los Angeles (2001-2004).
1. Research Excellence Award, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), 2004.
2. Nomination for Chancellor's Award for Postdoctoral Research at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), 2004.
Quantum Chemistry Guided Design & Synthesis of New Reactions, New Catalysts, and New Drugs
1. “A Theoretical Study on the Mechanism and Diastereoselectivity of the Kulinkovich Hydroxycyclopropanation Reaction.” Yun-Dong Wu and Zhi-Xiang Yu, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2001, 123, 5777.
2. “Aromatic Dienophiles. I: A Theoretic Study of Inverse-electron Demand Diels-Alder Reaction between 2-Aminopyrrole and 1,3,5-Triazine.” Zhi-Xiang Yu, Qun Dang and Yun-Dong Wu, J. Org. Chem. 2001, 66, 6029.
3. “A Theoretical Study of the Mechanisms and Regiochemistry of the Reactions of 5-Alkoxyoxazole with Thioaldehydes, Nitroso Compounds and Aldehydes.”Zhi-Xiang Yu and Yun-Dong Wu, J. Org. Chem. 2003, 68, 412.
4. “A DFT Study of the Mechanisms and Regio- and Stereochemistry of the Lewis-Acid-Catalyzed Reactions of 5-Alkoxyoxazoles with Aldehydes: Aryl Substitution at the 2 Position of 5-Alkoxyoxazole is Critical to the Formation of 4-Alkoxycarbonyl-2- Oxazoline.” Zhi-Xiang Yu and Yun-Dong Wu, J. Org. Chem. 2003, 68, 421.
5. “A SN2-like Transition State for Alkene Episulfidation by Dinitrogen Sulfide.”Zhi-Xiang Yu and Yun-Dong Wu, J. Org. Chem. 2003, 68, 6049.
6. “Clarification of the Mechanism of the Cascade Reactions Involving Inverse-Electron Demand Diels-Alder Reactions Between Amino-substituted Heterocycles and 1,3,5-Triazine.” Zhi-Xiang Yu, Qun-Dang and Yun-Dong Wu, J. Org. Chem. 2004, 70, 998.
7.“Why Trimerization? Computational Elucidation of the Origin of Selective Trimerization of Ethene Catalyzed by TaCl3(CH3)2 and An Agostic-assisted Hydride Transfer Mechanism.” Zhi-Xiang Yu and K. N. Houk, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2003, 42, 808.
8. “Dimerizations of Nitrile Oxides to Furoxans Are Stepwise via Dinitrosoalkene Diradicals: A Density Functional Theory Study.” Zhi-Xiang Yu, P. Caramella and K. N. Houk, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2003, 125, 15420.
9. “Intramolecular 1,3-Dipolar Ene Reactions of Nitrile Oxides Occur By Stepwise 1,1-Cycloaddition/Retro-Ene Mechanisms.” Zhi-Xiang Yu and K. N. Houk, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2003, 125, 13825.
10. “On the Mechanism of [Rh(CO)2Cl]2 Catalyzed Intermolecular (5+2) Reactions Between Vinylcyclopropanes and Alkynes”. Zhi-Xiang Yu, Paul A. Wender and K. N. Houk, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 126, 9451.