Chemistry is a central science. CCME at PKU aims to become one of the top chemistry institutions in the world, in both education and research. Our goal is:
- To attract talented students, postdoctoral fellows, and faculty worldwide by providing top class education and creating an exciting and inspiring atmosphere for critical thinking, innovation and discovery.
- To take a leading role in experimental and theoretical chemical research, discovering new chemical synthesis and catalysis, deepening the understanding of chemistry at the fundamental level.
- To become an intellectual and physical location at the nexus between basic sciences, applied sciences/engineering, and medicine, and to be at the forefront of interdisciplinary research in material, biological, environmental and sustainable energy-related sciences.
CCME is home to approximately 70 independent research groups. Our research is organized into three fields: Core Chemistry (synthesis and mechanism), Materials Chemistry, and Chemistry in Life Sciences. The college is divided into the following research departments and institutes:
- Department of Polymer Science and Engineering
- Department of Applied Chemistry
- Department of Chemical Biology
- Institute of Inorganic Chemistry
- Institute of Organic Chemistry
- Institute of Analytical Chemistry
- Institute of Physical Chemistry
- Institute of Theoretical and Computational Chemistry
CCME has joined university-wide effort to initiate several interdisciplinary research centers, including:
- Synthetic and Functional Biomolecules Center
- Center for Soft Matter Science and Engineering
- Center of Nanochemistry
- Center for Life Sciences
- Center for Quantitative Biology
- McGovern Institute for Brain Research
- Biomedical Pioneering Innovation Center
Currently, CCME has 190 faculty and staff members, including 10 Members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), 21 Chang Jiang Scholars, an honorary professorship granted by the Ministry of Education (MOE) of China, 50 tenured full professors, 5 tenured associated professors, and 10 tenure-track assistant professors. 41 CCME faculty received National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars, and 14 NSFC Excellent Young Scientists Fund. Collaborative research teams are formed among CCME faculty members, including 6 supported by NSFC Science Fund for Creative Research Groups (Inorganic Chemistry 2, Physical Chemistry 2, Organic Chemistry 1 and Chemical Biology 1).
CCME is in the forefront of chemical education in China. It was selected by the Ministry of Education (MOE) as one of the “National Pools for Talents in Basic Scientific Research and Education”. The mission of our undergraduate program is to offer a broad and rigorous chemical education for the undergraduates. CCME offers the Bachelor of Science degree with the following four tracks: chemistry, materials chemistry, applied chemistry and chemical biology.