Assistant Professor, College of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering, Peking University
Principle Investigator, Beijing National Laboratory for Molecular Sciences, State Key Laboratory of Rare Earth Materials Chemistry and Applications, Key Science Laboratory of Radiochemistry and Radiation Chemistry, Peking University
Postdoc Associate, Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Ph.D., Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Los Angeles
B.S. Yuanpei College, Peking University
Research in our group focuses on coordination and organometallic chemistry of f-elements (including rare earths and actinides), especially low valent f-element chemistry. We aim to synthesize f-element complexes with unique and unprecedented structures and study their electronic structure and bonding interaction in detail through combination of various spectroscopic methods and DFT or ab initio computational approaches. Based on these fundamental studies, we will develop novel catalytic processes, materials, and bioimaging reagents using f-element compounds. Our current research projects cover following areas:
- Synthesize low valent f-element arene complexes and study their electronic structure and reactivity;
- Prepare and investigate rare earth-carbon binary materials, including rare earth-arene sandwich complexes, rare earth fullerene compounds and rare earth graphite intercalation compounds;
- Establish metal-metal bond in f-element complexes and study their electronic structure and bonding interaction;
- Develop redox chemistry of f-elements with applications in small molecule activation;
- Design novel rare earth coordination complexes for bioimaging and medical imaging applications.
- W. Huang, M. Einzinger, T. Zhu, H.-S. Chae, S. Jeon, S.-Y. Lee, S.-G. Ihn, M. Sim, S. Kim, M. Su, G. Teverovskiy, T. Wu, T. Van Voorhis, T. M. Swager, M. A. Baldo, S. L. Buchwald, Molecular Design of Deep Blue Thermally Activated Delayed Fluorescence Materials Employing a Homoconjugative Triptycene Scaffold and Dihedral Angle Engineering. Chem. Mater. 2018, 30, 1462-1466.
- W. Huang, F. Dulong, S. I. Khan, T. Cantat, P. L. Diaconescu, Bimetallic Cleavage of Aromatic C–H Bonds by Rare-Earth-Metal Complexes. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136, 17410-17413.
- W. Huang, P. L. Diaconescu, Rare Earth Arene-Bridged Complexes Obtained by Reduction of Organometallic Precursors. Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths 2014, 45, 261-329.
- W. Huang, F. Dulong, T. Wu, S. I. Khan, J. T. Miller, T. Cantat, P. L. Diaconescu, A Six-carbon, 10π-electron Aromatic System Supported by Group 3 Metals. Nat. Commun. 2013, 4, 1448.
- W. Huang, S. I. Khan, P. L. Diaconescu, Inverted Sandwiches of Scandium Arene Complexes Supported by a Ferrocene Diamide Ligand. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 10410-10413.