2021.7–now Assistant Professor, PI, School of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering, Peking University
2018-2021 California Institute of Technology, Postdoc Fellow (Advisor: Prof. Robert H. Grubbs)
2013-2018 the University of Texas at Austin – the University of Chicago, Ph.D. in Chemistry (Advisor: Prof. Guangbin Dong)
2009-2013 School of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering, Peking University, B.S. in Chemistry (Advisor: Professor Jianbo Wang, Professor Yan Zhang)
The guideline of our research group is to discover, explore, and understand novel chemical processes at the interface of organic and organometallic chemistry, that can be further harnessed through the design of homogeneous catalysis to enable rapid access to challenging and important organic structures. Currently, we are particularly interested in developing novel methods for the controllable, selective, and consecutive construction, modification, and functionalization of carbon- or heterocyclic structures. The success of these projects will enable unprecedented reaction modes in transforming readily available natural and man-made molecules and open doors to many innovative applications.
- Zhou, X.; Xu. Y.*; Dong, G*.“Deacylation-Aided C–H Alkylative Annulation through C–C Cleavage of Unstrained Ketones”, Nat. Catal., accepted, 2021. (*co-corresponding)
- Xu, Y.; Wong, J. J.; Samkian, A. E.; Ko, J. H.; Chen, S.; Houk, K. N.; Grubbs, R. H. “Efficient Z-Selective Olefin-Acrylamide Cross-Metathesis Enabled by Sterically Demanding Cyclometalated Ruthenium Catalysts”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2020, 142, 20987–20993.
- Xu, Y.; Qi, X.; Zheng, P.; Berti, C. C.; Liu, P.; Dong, G. “Deacylative Transformations of Ketones via Aromatization-Promoted C−C Bond Activation”, Nature, 2019, 567, 373–378.
- Xu, Y.; Dong, G. “sp3 C–H Activation via Exo-type Directing Groups”, Chem. Sci., 2018, 9, 1424–1432.
- Xu, Y.; Young, M. C.; Dong, G. “Catalytic Coupling between Unactivated Aliphatic C–H Bonds and Alkynes via a Metal–Hydride Pathway”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2017, 139, 5716–5719.
- Xu, Y. †; Young, M. C. †; Wang, C.; Magness, D.; Dong, G. “Catalytic C(sp3)–H Arylation of Free Primary Amines with an exo Directing Group Generated In Situ”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2016, 55, 9084–9087.
- Xu, Y.; Su, T.; Huang, Z.; Dong, G. “Practical Direct α-Arylation of Cyclopentanones by Palladium/Enamine Cooperative Catalysis”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2016, 55, 2559–2563.
- Xu, Y. †; Yan, G. †; Ren, Z.; Dong, G. “Diverse sp3 C−H Functionalization through Alcohol β-Sulfonyloxylation", Nat. Chem., 2015, 7, 829-834.
- Samkian, A. E. †; Xu, Y. †; Virgil, S. C.; Yoon, K.-Y.; Grubbs, R. H. “Synthesis and Activity of Six-Membered Cyclic Alkyl Amino Carbene–Ruthenium Olefin Metathesis Catalysts”, Organometallics, 2020, 39, 495–499.