1990 B.Sc., Sichuan University
1993 M.Sc., Sichuan University
1996 Ph.D., Research Institute of Petroleum Processing
1997-2000 CREST Researcher, Japan Science and Technology Corporation (JST),
The University of Tokyo
2000-2003 Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California at Berkeley/Lawrence
Berkeley National Laboratory
2003-2007 Associate Professor, Peking University
2007- Professor, Peking University
Our research interests focus on molecular catalysis and energy chemistry with emphasis on understanding of the fundamental relationships between the structures of catalysts and their performances, the reaction kinetics and mechanisms at atomic or molecular level, and design of new catalysts and control of reaction pathways for selective conversion of biomass and its derivatives, selective conversion of methanol and dimethyl ether, and oxidative functionalization of light alkanes, etc.
Honors and Awards:
Cheung Kong Professorship (2014), The Enze Min Award for Energy Chemical Engineering (2013), Catalysis Prize for Young Scientists of The Catalysis Society of China (2012), National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars of China (2008).
Selected Publications since independence
- Yue Liu, Wei Zhang, Cong Hao, Shuai Wang, and Haichao Liu*, “Unveiling the mechanism for selective cleavage of C-C bonds in sugar reactions on tungsten trioxide-based catalysts”, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 2022, 119, e202206399.
- Qianhui Sun, Shuai Wang, and Haichao Liu*, “Selective hydrogenolysis of α-C-O bond in biomass-derived 2-furancarboxylic acid to 5-hydroxyvaleric acid on supported Pt catalysts at near-ambient temperature”, ACS Catal., 2019, 9, 11413-11425.
- Xiaohui He, Yong Wang, Xun Zhang, Mei Dong, Guofu Wang, Bingsen Zhang, Yiming Niu, Siyu Yao, Xin He, and Haichao Liu*, “Controllable in situ surface restructuring of Cu catalysts and remarkable enhancement of their catalytic activity”, ACS Catal., 2019, 9, 2213-2221.
- Qianhui Sun, Shuai Wang, and Haichao Liu*, “Selective hydrogenolysis of glycerol to propylene glycol on supported Pd catalysts: promoting effects of ZnO and mechanistic assessment of active PdZn alloy surfaces”, ACS Catal., 2017, 7, 4265-4275.
- Junfang Nie and Haichao Liu*, “Efficient aerobic oxidation of 5-hydroxymethylfurfural to 2,5-diformylfuran on manganese oxide catalysts”, J. Catal., 2014, 316, 57-66.
- Tianyin Deng, and Haichao Liu*, “Promoting effect of SnOx on selective conversion of cellulose to polyols over bimetallic Pt-SnOx/Al2O3 catalysts”, Green Chem., 2013, 15, 116-124.
- Yue Liu, Chen Luo and Haichao Liu*, “Tungsten trioxide promoted selective conversion of cellulose into propylene glycol and ethylene glycol on a Ru catalyst”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2012, 51, 3249-3253.
- Yihong Shen, Shenghong Zhang, Hongjia Li, Yuan Ren and Haichao Liu*, “Efficient synthesis of lactic acid by aerobic oxidation of glycerol on Au-Pt/TiO2 catalysts”, Chem. Eur. J., 2010, 16, 7368-7371.
- Chen Luo, Shuai Wang and Haichao Liu*, “Cellulose conversion to polyols catalyzed by reversibly-formed acids and supported ruthenium clusters in hot water”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2007, 46, 7636-7639.
- Ning Yan, Chen Zhao, Chen Luo, Paul J. Dyson, Haichao Liu*, and Yuan Kou*, "One step conversion of cellobiose to C6-alcohols using a ruthenium nanocluster catalyst", J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2006, 128, 8714-8715.