1992-1997: B. Sc. in Physics, Tsinghua University
1997-2001: Ph.D. in Condensed Matter Physics, Tsinghua University
2001-2002: Postdoctoral Guest Scientist, Max Planck Institute for Metals Research
2002-2003: Visiting Scientist, Center for Advanced Study, Tsinghua University
2003-2007: Postdoctor, Department of Biochemistry, University of Toronto
2007-present: Associate Professor, College of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering, Peking University
Theoritical and computational chemistry (I): principles and applications of molecular modeling (01016060);
Biophysical Chemistry (01019030, Coordinator: Prof. Luhua Lai)
We are interested in utilizing theoretical approaches and simulation tools to investigate the physical problems in biological and chemical systems. At present, we focus on protein folding (especially for Intrinsically Disordered Proteins (IDPs)), DNA disentanglement, and Kinetics speeding-up algorithm. We also do first-principles calculations on graphene.
1. National Natural Science Foundation of China, "Computational study on the carrier mobility in graphene-related systems" (2014-2017);
2. National Key Basic
Research Programof China (973 Project), "Computational biology studies based on protein structures and interactions" (2009-2013).
- Zhirong Liu* and Yongqi Huang. Advantages of proteins being disordered. Protein. Sci. 23, 539 (2014). (Invited review)
- Fan Jin, Chen Yu, Luhua Lai*, and Zhirong Liu*. Ligand clouds around protein clouds: a scenario of ligand binding with intrinsically disordered proteins. PLoS
Comput. Biol. 9, e1003249 (2013). (Cover paper)
- Jinying Wang, Ruiqi Zhao, Mingmei Yang, Zhongfan Liu*, and Zhirong Liu*. Inverse relationship between carrier mobility and band gap in graphene. J. Chem. Phys. 138, 084701 (2013). (Cover paper)
- Yongqi Huang, Huaiqing Cao, and Zhirong Liu*. Three-dimensional domain swapping in the protein structure space. Proteins: Struct. Funct. Bioinform. 80, 1610 (2012).
- Hue Sun Chan, Zhuqing Zhang, Stefan Wallin, and Zhirong Liu. Cooperativity, local-nonlocal coupling, and nonnative interactions: principles of protein folding from coarse-grained models. Annu. Rev. Phys. Chem. 62, 301 (2011).
- Yang Li, Xiaowei Jiang, Zhongfan Liu, and Zhirong Liu*.
Strain effects in graphene and graphene nanoribbons: the underlying mechanism. Nano Res. 3, 545 (2010).
- Yongqi Huang and Zhirong Liu*. Kinetic advantage of intrinsically disordered proteins in coupled folding-binding process: a critical assessment of the “fly-casting” mechanism. J. Mol. Biol. 393, 1143 (2009).
- Zhirong Liu and Hue Sun Chan. Desolvation is a likely origin of robust enthalpic barriers to protein folding. J. Mol. Biol. 349, 872 (2005).
- Zhi-Rong Liu, Jian Wu, and Wenhui Duan. Electronic-structure theory of crystalline insulators under a homogeneous electric field. Phys. Rev. B 69, 85117 (2004).
[group members ] [collaborators]
[link to Institute of Physical Chemistry ] [link to Center for Quantitative Biology]